Monday, November 26, 2012

Broody Hens

I decided in the early spring to bite the bullet and get some baby chicks. We had talked about it as a family, and decided that it would work well for us to raise chickens, and then have the eggs and the chickens to eat. We would know what we were eating, and we would know that the hens were happy and loved until we served them for dinner.
Raising chickens is fairly easy, but I did go from 8 chicks to 4 chickens pretty quickly. I lost 1 to my Chihuahua, 1 was a rooster (no roosters for me!) and 2 drowned in the cow trough. The 4 girls that survived have been amazing though. The kids walk around holding them, they're good, consistent layers and have overall great temperaments. We feed them from our hands and make them jump for treats (it's the only trick they know). They're so much fun, and I never thought I'd like chickens as much as I love these girls!
After spending 4 days in Oregon for Thanksgiving this past weekend, I came home to find that one of my hens has gone broody. I had to do a bunch of reading to find out exactly what that means, and what I should do about it. After doing a lot of reading, I think I'm going to give her a couple fertilized eggs to hatch. She's the sweetest of the 4 hens, and I think she'd be a great Mom, and I'm super excited to see the true process, that doesn't involve a feed store or an incubator. Love seeing nature at work!

My workouts are on hold until probably next week. I have walking pneumonia, more than likely due to not taking proper care of the vicious cold I had. It's definitely not fun, and not something I'd like to do again, but the antibiotics and such do seem to be working their magic, and for that I'm thankful. I'll be on them through this week, so I'm thinking that by Monday of next week, I should be able to be back at it, which is great, because I have a challenge group starting! Excited for the new group, and ready to be back at it!! I've got my mind back on the prize, and I have my motivating people in place for the days I don't want to work out. The first month is the hardest; after that it's second nature. Just need to get back to that point!

No comments:

Post a Comment